The Dos and Don'ts of Selling to Clients

The Dos and Don'ts of Selling to Clients

Freelance Switch posted an article I helped write recently.  Here's the link: http://freelanceswitch.com/finding/the-dos-and-donts-of-selling-to-clients/

And here's the article:

Do you have loads of clients fighting with each other for the chance to hire you? If so, you can skip this article. If not, you likely spend some time selling yourself to potential clients. So read on, because we’re going to talk about the dos and don’ts of selling.

I wanted to get the scoop on selling from one of the best, so I went to Andrea Decker. Andrea is the Consulting Director here at our company, Element Fusion. Our consulting team spends all of their time drumming up business and Andrea is the most experienced and most prolific sales consultant we have.

So here they are – the dos and don’ts of selling – each summarized in a sentence with quotes from Andrea to further clarify.

DO

1) Listen to your client.
The single most important thing you can do to make a successful sale is listen to your client. Understand how his business works. Understand what pays his bills. Then simply present a solution that makes it easier for him to keep doing what he does best.

2) Build a relationship and demonstrate your expertise.
Business owners don’t usually want to become experts. They just want to know an expert they can trust – one who really understands their business and is interested in building a long term relationship.

3) Present solutions to your clients’ problems.
I don’t make sales. I do my clients a favor by introducing them to solutions that will help them harness the power of the web for their business/organization. If I can present a solution to my client he will be grateful and it is less like making a sale and more like entering into a partnership.

4) Recognize the point when you’ve won them over.
You’ve won them over when they start asking questions about the solution instead of asking questions about you or your work. You’ve moved from mistrust to trust. At this point, the rest is easy.

5) Communicate in the way (email, phone, in person) your client prefers, not the way you prefer.
Each method of communication is only as strong as the preference of the recipient. If you know a guy is too busy to meet but he is a telephone person then you should call him.

6) Appeal to both emotion and reason.
People buy on emotion but justify their decision with reason. Both are significant. You must inspire their emotions but also give them solid evidence that you are the right choice. You only hurt yourself if you don’t deal with both sides of the decision making process.

DON’T

1) Don’t try to make a sale without first building trust.
The worst thing you can do is try to make a sale or push someone into a decision without building trust. Build relationships instead. (see #1 and #2 on the “do” list)

2) Don’t waste your time with clients who don’t fit you.
Another bad thing to do is to waste your time on someone who doesn’t fit you well. You may need the business really badly and so you go after everyone no matter what, but the truth is that taking clients who don’t fit you will be worse in the long run because they will drain your time and keep you from finding the ones that fit.

3) Don’t waste money (and paper) on marketing materials.
All I need is a net meeting tool and a demonstration website. That’s about it. There’s no sense in killing any trees for marketing because as soon as you put ink on paper you’ll want to change it up. I like to stay as paperless as possible. Naturally, there are some types of businesses that might require printed materials but if you can avoid them, I would.

4) Don’t set unrealistic expectations.
Your goal is to have happy clients who pay your invoices. It’s extremely important to set honest expectations up front. To do this, you have to get very specific in defining the scope of your proposal. This will take more time at the beginning but will save you five times the effort on the back end trying to defend an invoice or correct a misunderstanding. Plus, it will protect your reputation.

5) Don’t nag, but don’t give up too early either.
Sometimes clients really are too busy to focus on your solution. So a ‘no’ might just be a ‘not right now.’ You don’t want to nag them by calling too often. So instead, find out when it would be ok to contact them again. Then, get a good reminder system and use it faithfully. Don’t get behind. Don’t end your day until everyone you were supposed to contact that day has been contacted.

Tim Wall is Director of Product Marketing and Andrea Decker is Consulting Director for Element Fusion, a leading web company and creator of several web-based software products including Light, the content management system for freelance designers.


17 comments (Add your own)

1. Babar wrote:
- Karen, thank you for letting my know. Murray was alctaluy one of the very first pups to photograph when i started this business concept. Loved his spirit and spunk. I am so happy we have the memories for Tara. They truly are the keeper of all our secrets, loyal, noble and true for all of us.

Thu, November 22, 2012 @ 2:17 AM

2. wrote:
If you would like to improve your familiarity simply keep visiting
this site and be updated with the most recent
gossip posted here.

Sun, September 3, 2017 @ 3:01 PM

3. wrote:
Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on. Any recommendations?

Thu, May 3, 2018 @ 11:44 AM

4. wrote:
Every weekend i used to visit this web page, for the reason that i want enjoyment, since this this website conations in fact fastidious funny information too.

Thu, September 27, 2018 @ 10:10 PM

5. wrote:
I'm not sure why but this weblog is loading very slow for
me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it
a issue on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

Mon, October 1, 2018 @ 6:22 AM

6. wrote:
This is a topic that's near to my heart... Thank you!
Where are your contact details though?

Mon, October 1, 2018 @ 7:17 PM

7. wrote:
Excellent blog here! Also your website loads up very fast! What web host are you using?
Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my web site loaded up
as quickly as yours lol

Thu, October 4, 2018 @ 12:06 PM

8. wrote:
Hi there to all, since I am really eager of reading this web site's post to be updated
on a regular basis. It carries nice data.

Sat, October 6, 2018 @ 9:46 AM

9. wrote:
When I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same
comment. There has to be a means you are able to remove me
from that service? Appreciate it!

Wed, October 17, 2018 @ 1:00 PM

10. wrote:
Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous
to and you are just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you've acquired here,
certainly like what you're saying and the way in which you say it.
You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.

I can't wait to read much more from you. This is really a great site.

Sun, October 21, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

11. wrote:
Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed!
Very helpful information specially the closing section :)
I deal with such info a lot. I used to be seeking this certain information for a very long time.
Thanks and best of luck.

Mon, October 22, 2018 @ 6:13 PM

12. wrote:
Heya! I realize this is somewhat off-topic but I had to ask.
Does building a well-established website such as yours require a massive
amount work? I'm brand new to writing a blog but I do write in my diary every day.

I'd like to start a blog so I will be able
to share my experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or
tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

Sat, November 3, 2018 @ 6:04 AM

13. wrote:
Descargar facebook http://twitter.com/descargar_hq descargar
facebook
Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually know
what you're talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally discuss
with my web site =). We will have a hyperlink exchange contract between us descargar
facebook http://twitter.com/descargar_hq descargar facebook

Sun, November 4, 2018 @ 4:47 AM

14. wrote:
Thanks for another wonderful post. The place else may anybody
get that type of info in such an ideal approach of writing?
I've a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the search for such information.

Tue, November 13, 2018 @ 10:20 PM

15. wrote:
Hi there to every one, since I am in fact eager
of reading this weblog's post to be updated daily. It consists of nice stuff.

Tue, November 13, 2018 @ 11:30 PM

16. wrote:
Great delivery. Sound arguments. Keep up the great effort.

Wed, November 14, 2018 @ 6:27 PM

17. wrote:
I relish, lead to I discovered just what I was looking for.
You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man.
Have a nice day. Bye

Wed, November 14, 2018 @ 10:33 PM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.